The aim of the Open Discovery International Space Summer Academy is to support school innovation and to train teachers and school leaders to promote the development of their schools into open learning communities, and thus improve the quality of all aspects of schooling. Also, the Academy is intended to promote more flexible and creative ways of learning by improving the way educational content is produced, accessed and used, by fostering sharing and collaboration, and by making the teacher the core node and change leader of a developing community. The overall approach is to promote educational change and modernization of school education by empowering school staff to monitor the school's needs and to take initiative for bringing innovative practices in all areas of schooling, which respond to these needs.
To this end, the Academy is offering a series of training courses for teachers and school leaders of European countries that focus on:
The course will include presentations of actual experiences, lectures, interviews, group-work, observations and some playful activities aimed to stimulate out-of-the-box thinking and innovation.
- Equipping teachers and school heads with competences and skills that will support them in acting as change agents in their schools and thus foster sustainable innovation.
- Introducing participants to the concepts and skills of universal design for learning, authentic learning and assessment, learning styles and learners' variability
- Exploring parental engagement in schooling as a key aspect that can foster innovation and facilitate school development and quality of learning.
- Developing participants' skills for Entrepreneurship education
- Training teachers in implementing democracy education programmes and initiatives
- Training teachers in integrating science in other creative and cultural disciplines
Participants: Primary and Secondary School teachers and school leaders from European countries. Participation in the course can be funded by the ERASMUS+ programme. More info on the eligible countries and on the process for applying is available here. The course, as well as all training material, will be delivered in English.